We have been implementing Accountable Kids now for about a year & I think it is a really good program. Before starting it, I would have to constantly "remind" my children to do each & every chore. Now all I have to say is, "Did you do your cards?"
I have adapted them a little to fit the needs of our family, but I was able to get them (just the cards) while at a homeschooling conference for around $10! The peg boards are pretty with each child's name engraved on it, but kind of pricey. I decided instead to make my own boards, so I went to Walmart's craft section & bought 2 wooden plaques like this
only they each had 3 hooks on them. They were around $5 each. I took them home & painted them with the girls names on them & voila!:) Perfectly good personalized peg boards without spending a fortune:)
Here's how the system works: They have yellow cards for morning chores, red for afternoon & blue for evening. They are also great for children who do not know how to read yet because they have pictures on them. Plus they are totally customizable. I not only put chores on their cards, but I also put schoolwork categories, devotions, & character traits I expect them to show during the day. As they do their chores they flip over that card so that the picture is flipped over (indicating they have completed that chore). After all the cards of that color are completed, they earn a ticket. They have an opportunity to earn 3 tickets a day with their daily chores. Then, anything fun they would like to do costs a ticket (or 2-whatever value you want to place on them).
In essence, they don't get to do fun things they want to do without earning it. It really teaches personal responsibility & natural consequences. So instead of me being the "bad guy" & saying, "No" when they ask if they can do something, I say," That will be 1 ticket". Which is usually followed by, " I forgot to do something, mom. I'll be right back!" Hehehehe:)
Visit: http://www.accountablekids.com/default.aspx

2 comments:
Accountable kids sounds like a great program. Thanks for sharing! I just landed on your blog and I'm glad I did. I am now following you thanks to Friday Blog Hop, and it would be so nice if you could share the love back on my blog;)
Also today we have the coolest blog hop there is... no rules just fun and would love you to join in with us at Boost My Blog Friday, where you can meet lots of friends and have a great time:) See you there!
Happy Friday
I'll have to check this out. We are using chore cards... well sort of. I really think if I can creatively motivate them and make them accountable minus just restrictions, we'd be good. Especially since their main chores are personal care/hygiene and care for their stuff/areas! Good lifelong skills;)
I'm a new follower;)
Post a Comment